- Our Services
- 24 Hour NHS Prescription Click and Collect Service
- Women’s Health Clinic
- Get your Guaranteed same day COVID-19 Fit to Fly Certificate today at Cadham Pharmacy Glenrothes Fife
- Covid-19 Rapid Antigen Swab Test
- COVID-19 PCR Testing Glenrothes, FIFE (48 hr results)
- Award Winning Pharmacy First Plus Clinic Cadham Pharmacy Glenrothes Fife
- Award Winning Minor Ailments Clinic Glenrothes Fife
- Vaccination Services
- Smoking Cessation Service
- Award Winning Cadham Pharmacy Dry Eye Clinic Glenrothes Fife
- Free NHS Morning After Pill Clinic Glenrothes Fife
- Urinary Tract Infection Service
- Award Winning Asthma Clinic
- PillPacPlus Service
- Flu Vaccine Service
- Award Winning Earwax Removal Service
- Gluten Free Food Service
- Award Winning Mole Scanning
- Award Winning Pain Clinic at Cadham Pharmacy
- Digital Dentist
- Diagnostic Services
- Travel Clinic
Award Winning Earwax Removal Service
Sometimes a build of earwax can cause pain or affect your hearing. Ear drops can help soften the wax but you may also choose an earwax removal service. Remember, you should never push any foreign objects, like cotton buds, into your ear as this can make the blockage worse or cause damage to the eardrum.
What is an earwax removal service?
An earwax removal service allows you to access treatments that may no longer be offered by your GP. The options include:
– ear irrigation aka ear stringing where water is used to flush the wax out
– micro-suction that uses a small probe to suck the excess wax away
These treatments are usually painless and should improve your symptoms very quickly. Whilst some GPs may still offer these services but many don’t. So, paying for private treatment may be an option for you.
What earwax treatments are available?
We use the Award Winning TympaHealth – The worlds first all-in-one hearing health assessment system to assess your ears and what may be causing pain. Earwax does usually fall out on its own without the need for treatment. However, earwax build-up can cause:
– difficulty hearing
– lead to an ear infection
Ear drops can soften the wax to help it fall out. If the pharmacist recommends earwax removal, you may also need to take ear drops before the removal procedure.
GPs will often forward people with earwax problems onto a pharmacist for advice and treatment. So you may wish to save yourself a trip to the GP and come straight to the pharmacy for advice and treatment. Cadham Pharmacy provides earwax removal in Glenrothes. Earwax removal can bring so many benefits to your ear health.
Microsuction is generally accepted as the safest and most effective method of ear wax removal.
What is micro-suction?
Microsuction is a wax removal technique using a precision, low pressure suction apparatus to gently and safely suck un-wanted or obstructing skin cells and wax from the external auditory meatus (ear canal). It avoids touching the sensitive area around the ear canal and evades contact with the eardrum.
We use our Tympahealth system which provides magnification so that the tip of the fine cannula (the suction tube) is always under direct vision.
This technique contrasts with ear syringing where high pressure water is squirted into the ear to dislodge the wax. Microsuction is a more precise and gentle technique than ear syringing.
Why is micro-suction better?
Compared to traditional forms of wax removal – ear drops and irrigation or syringing, microsuction is:
- Cleaner and neater
- Generally better tolerated, with less side effects
- More effective and likely to need only one appointment
- Doesn’t need weeks of waiting for drops to soften the wax
- Microsuction may still be possible for people who struggle to use oil prior to treatment
What to expect from ear micro-suction
Private ear wax clearance using micro-suction, is provided by specially trained pharmacy teams who will talk you through the procedure, show you the equipment and ask you to sign a consent form before we start.
The micro-suction process can be noisy and occasionally make you feel dizzy. This usually passes within a short while. If you are having the procedure undertaken on both ears, it will take up to 30 minutes.
Prior to the procedure
We recommend EAROL SPRAY 3 drops to be used twice a day 3-5 days days prior to your appointment to allow the wax to be the correct consistency for the micro-suction to be effective.
- Consultation fee FREE
- Ear Microsuction for one ear: £35
- Ear Microsuction for both ears: £50
Book your Earwax Removal in Glenrothes below!